For the past year, IT Services has been running a year-long personal development programme for a cohort of our own managers. The Leadership Skills Programme, developed and delivered with the Oxford Learning Institute, aims to prepare managers for more senior roles within the department and covers five broad areas:
- The University and IT Services - A series of talks covering the key activities of IT Services and the wider University.
- Skills Training - Sessions covering practical skills that are useful in the context of IT Services.
- Away Days - Bi-annual opportunities to attend facilitated workshops on management and leadership topics.
- Management Soft Skills Training - Workshops and courses that deliver management related soft skills such as ‘Handling Conflict in the Workplace’ and ‘Performance Management of Staff’.
- Leadership Soft Skills Training - Workshops and courses that deliver leadership related soft skills such as ‘Strategic Planning’ and ‘Team Development’.
A mentoring process was a key part of the programme with each participant allocated a member of IT Services’ Senior Management Team to work with as a mentor.
Feedback from participants has been very positive, particularly with regard to the value of working with peers from across the department.
“I really enjoyed the programme overall. It was an excellent opportunity to network with other leaders within the Department and to understand their work better. The content of the sessions was really varied and though I have worked in the Department for a number of years I learnt a number of things about IT Services and the University, which I wouldn't have learnt elsewhere.” Lyn Waddington, Head of Enterprise and Applications Group
The programme is currently being evaluated following successful completion of the first year, with a view to repeating it in future.