IT Services, and OUCS before it, has run a survey at Freshers’ Fair since 2004. The aim is to capture the prior experiences, and more recently, opinions and wishes, of freshers to inform IT Services’ strategy, focus and resources. The survey also provides a wealth of data for divisions and others to use as they see fit, for example, to explore the support requirements for students or assess what proportion would own the appropriate technology to access facilities divisions or colleges might provide.
The 2016 report is now available. Highlights include:
- 77% of respondents have a tablet, either a stand-alone device or as part of a hybrid computer.
- The majority of respondents (46%) brought 2 internet enabled devices with the average being 2.8; the same as 2015.
- The number of respondents using Windows OS has continued to decrease and is now 55%.
- 27% of respondents don’t have, or don’t know if they have, anti-virus software. This continues to increase.
- While 65% of respondents use YouTube, only 8% follow the University’s YouTube channel.
See our Reports and publications page for Freshers survey report from 2016 and previous years.