Your Oxford SSO account
Your Oxford Single Sign-On (SSO) account entitles you to use all University resources provided by IT Services and many others run by other parts of the University. It is called a Single Sign-On Account as you can access multiple services with a single login and it is sometimes called just your SSO account. Your SSO username (or Oxford username) is the username part of your account credentials. You need to activate your account to set it up and change the password at least once a year.
A Single Sign-On account is created automatically for you. For new students, your username and activation code will be sent by email to the address held by student records sometime before 1st September. Please ensure email@example.com has a working email address for you. Otherwise, it will be sent by internal mail to your main University address.
Activating your Oxford Single Sign-On account
You need your activation code, and either your student number or University card barcode number in order to go through this procedure.
- Access the Web Authentication Service (Webauth)
- Choose a password for your Oxford Single Sign-On account. (Read the Security advice about choosing your passwords).
- Set a security question and answer in case you ever forget your password
The lifetime of the activation code is given on your letter and will be between 30 and 60 days. If the activation code has expired, you can ask for it to be unexpired via the IT Services Help Centre.
The IT Services Account Registration web page has further information about your Oxford account.
The Connecting to the Internet web page tells you how to connect your devices. Please note that a separate Remote Access password is required for Eduroam wifi and VPN.
Changing the password of your Oxford Single Sign-On account
- To change your password, visit the Webauth page.
- Webauth will also let you reset a forgotten password using your stored security question and answer.
- If you forget both your password and the answer to your security question, you will need to obtain a Webauth 'rescue' code via your college IT staff or the IT Services Help Centre.
Your Oxford Single Sign-On account's password is required to be changed at least once a year via Webauth. You should receive an email reminder a few weeks before it is due to expire. If you don't change your password by its expiry date you will be unable to access your Oxford Single Sign-On account until the password has been reset via Webauth.