In this section you will find out what these groups do, and be pointed to more detailed information.
- IT Committee
- Sub-groups of ITC
- Role of IT Services’ Senior Management Team and the Solution Design Authority
The principal IT governance group is the IT Committee (ITC), a Committee of Council. ITC is responsible for all matters relating to the management and maintenance of the University’s central IT policies, facilities and services, including expenditure from the IT capital envelope and development of the services delivered by IT Services.
Chaired by Professor Anne Trefethen, PVC, Academic Resources and Information Systems, ITC meets twice a term.
A number of sub-groups of ITC have been established to ensure that IT projects funded from the capital envelope are prioritised according to user and/or business needs and that decisions taken by ITC are as robust as possible.
The ITC Capital Sub-group reviews requests for funding referred to ITC by the IT Boards and advises on their approval.
The IT Boards are intended engage stakeholders in IT in their respective areas more closely in decision-making around capital investment and service development. The Boards report to ITC and are expected to work closely with the appropriate functional committees of Council.
There are six IT Boards:
- Digital Content (secretary: Jon Ray (Programme Mananger – Gardens, Libraries and Museums Digital Strategy))
Covers use of technology to manage the collections, improve access, and support research and teaching
- Education IT (secretary: Jeremy Welch (Head of Technology Developments, Student Administration))
Covers IT systems for admissions and on-course student management and use of IT for teaching and learning
- Infrastructure (secretary: Christopher Cattermole (Head of Planning and Resource Management, Infrastructure Services, IT Services))
Covers networks, the data centre, and the telephone system
- Research IT (secretary: Lotte Boon (Head, Research Systems and Information Management Team, Research Services))
Covers use of IT for administering research grants and meeting funding bodies' reporting requirements
- Research Computing (secretary: Dai Jenkins (Head of Research Computing and Support Services, Academic IT, IT Services))
Covers IT systems for managing research data
- User Services and IT Excellence (secretary: Ian Teasdale (Deputy Director, Customer Services, IT Services))
Covers centrally provided IT for admin staff
Chaired by a senior member of the University, each Board meets twice a term and may approve individual project funding requests up to a value of £300,000. Requests for amounts above that amount are referred to the IT Committee.
Those wanting further information about the Boards in general should contact Abigail Cooke. Enquiries regarding the work of a specific Board should contact the relevant Board Secretary.
ITAG advises ITC on
- matters relating to technical strategy, frameworks, standards and policies for the provision of IT services to the University, in line with strategic planning across the wider University, including, for example, interoperability of systems, security, provision of shared infrastructure, and managed personal computing platforms,
- emerging trends and developments in IT and how they will affect service delivery,
- procurement of equipment and its alignment with agreed technical standards.
Chaired by a senior member of the IT Services department, the Group currently meets once a month.
Those wanting further information about ITAG should contact Dr Mike Fraser, by email at email@example.com.
PAG is a high-level group which:
- provides assurance and advice to business owners and service and programme managers to ensure services meet user need,
- provides ongoing assurance to the CIO regarding the risk status and progress of the portfolio, and
- identifies and monitors risks, issues and opportunities across the portfolio of services and programmes run by the department.
Chaired by Dr Stuart Lee, Deputy CIO, the Group currently meets quarterly.
Those wanting further information about the Boards should contact the Group’s Secretary, Mrs Philippa Days, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
IT Services’ Senior Management Team (SMT) is responsible for all aspects of the department’s business. Comprising the CIO, his deputies, and the group directors, it:
- discusses and agrees courses of action regarding the implementation of the University’s strategic plan for IT,
- considers matters relating to HR, finance and the department’s physical estate, providing direction and making decisions as required,
- reviews all project requests, briefs and PIDs, authorising their progression through the approval process and, where further work is required, providing feedback,
- oversees the quality and delivery of the services provided by the department to the wider University, and
- commissions reviews on specific aspects of the department’s activities or performance, receives the reports and acts on their recommendations.
Chaired by Dr Sean Duffy, Head of Department and CIO, SMT meets on alternate Tuesdays. Sub-groups of SMT meet weekly on Monday mornings, primarily to review project documentation and recruitment business cases.
Those wanting further information about SMT should contact Bernadette Bennett by email at email@example.com.