Applications Packaging and Deployment Specialist
One of the main functions of the Desktop Administration team is to provide application packaging and deployment services across all Windows desktops managed by IT Services (around 3,000).
The post holder will be one of a small group within the Desktop Administration team that provide these services. This will include ensuring that a variety of applications and plug-ins can be deployed unattended to Windows workstations: either silently or with visible progress as required. This role is also critical to ensuring that common plug-ins are kept up to date and security vulnerabilities are patched in a timely fashion.
- Expertise in repackaging and automating software installations for a range of Windows desktop software using software packaging technologies such as Wise Package Studio, InstallShield or similar
- Expertise in packaging, configuring and testing Windows desktop software for mass delivery in a locked-down, multi-user environment
- Good working knowledge of Windows Installer technology and MSI databases
- Good logical diagnostic skills; ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex technical issues such as file and registry-related application problems on Windows XP and Windows 7 systems
- Self-motivated, quick learner, able to work unsupervised and also to contribute as an effective member of the team
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to work and communicate effectively with staff at all levels in the University, whether technical or non-technical
- Good record keeping skills with the ability to produce clear technical documentation of packaging projects
- Education to degree level or equivalent experience
- Ability to use scripting languages such as VBScript or batch scripting to automate tasks within a Microsoft Windows environment
- Experience of any of the Altiris Client Management Suite particularly those used for software packaging and deployment such as Deployment Solution, Wise Package Studio, Notification Server
- Experience with computing in an academic or research environment or similar
- The skills and experience to become an effective member of the team as quickly as possible