IT Services provides support for everyone who creates, stores and uses data, to help ensure that it is always available, accessible and reliable. We offer assistance throughout the data journey, from governing and sourcing data, to creating, managing, analysing and reporting it.
As well as being vital for good decision-making and meeting reporting responsibilities, well-governed data means less reworking, less duplication of effort and less time spent searching for the right data or being unsure that it is of the right quality.
Guided by the University IT Strategic Plan (use SSO to view), the University’s new Data Strategy and the Data Governance Framework, our Data Reporting, Architecture and Modelling (DRAM) team provides the systems, information and tools you need to help you with data tasks big and small, from day-to-day data processing to the data elements of a project.
Data governance support for day-to-day business and projects
Our data services coordinate all the resources you need to get the most from data.
We can help you:
- identify the right source for the data you’re looking for
- be confident that the data you are creating or using is of the right quality
- understand and use the correct, agreed, definitions for data
- find the right person to help you with questions about specific data areas
- report any data issues you come across.
Here is some of what we offer:
- comprehensive guidance on data governance
- guidance on data modelling
- the Data Issues Log, for issue reporting, prioritisation and resolution
- data stewards – an expanding network of centrally-supported data practitioners who can provide information and guidance on specific data areas
- information to help you identify the best sources of data for your needs, and the agreed data standards
- the Casewise-Evolve IT architecture tool, including agreed data definitions and models for an expanding number of data areas; processes and applications; the University’s enterprise data model, project-related updates and much more.
For further information please see our Data architecture and modelling page in the Service Catalogue.
We manage the data warehouse, which gathers and presents frequently-updated data in a logical and clear way to enable efficient analysis and reporting. It also makes it more straightforward to comply with the University's data security legal responsibilities.
The warehouse is currently used for selected student, research administration, libraries, HR and purchasing data. More sets of data will be added to this list.
For further information please see our Business intelligence: Data warehousing page in the Service Catalogue, or contact the DRAM team for advice and information (see 'contact us').
Analytical reporting – Tableau and Power BI
We also help with effective and efficient data analysis and reporting by providing support for users of Tableau software. The team can also offer some informal support to centrally-licenced users of Power BI. Longer-term arrangements for supporting Power BI are being developed and trialled with a small number of users in the first instance.
For further information please see our Business intelligence: Analytical reporting page in the Service Catalogue, or contact the DRAM team for advice and information (see 'contact us').