Safe and secure storage of University data is essential to the smooth running of research and teaching at Oxford. If you need a backup service, our HFS team offers access to two free services depending on your requirements. Both are available to senior members, postgraduates and staff across the University.
Backups for a single-user computer or laptop
The HFS CrashPlan backup service provides secure backups of University data on personal, single-user computers like your desktop and laptop at work and at home.
- Unlimited versions and no daily backup limits
- Automatic backups in the background (every 15 minutes by default but configurable)
- No need for VPN - backup from anywhere to the CrashPlan Cloud
- Restore data from one machine to another
- Backup up to four machines under one personal account
- Easy to use interface to select and exclude data for backup
Backups for a server or a shared machine
The Spectrum Protect service is suitable if you have large data sets or need to backup a server or shared machine.
The benefits of this service include:
- 7 versions
- Scheduled nightly backups
- Needs to be on the University network
- Supported on more operating systems than CrashPlan
- Virtual machines supported
For help with which service to choose please visit our page that summarises a comparison of the services.
For more information, to register, or install the appropriate software, please visit the HFS support page on the IT Help website.