Business Intelligence Senior Systems Analyst
The Analyst will provide second line support to users of the business intelligence service, acting on issues raised by the first line support resources and liaising directly with users, and third party suppliers as necessary.
The post holder will be expected to solve complex system-related problems, be able to work independently and consult effectively with a wide range of personnel.
This post is part of the Customer Services team within IT Services. The analyst will work closely with colleagues responsible for the management of process and change in relation to the business intelligence system, and with the Software Solutions team responsible for maintaining the data warehouse and interfaces into it.
The data warehouse and reporting solution is currently used by Research Services, SDMA Student Administration, PRAS, HR and Purchasing, with several other University entities (including the Libraries and Estates) participating in planning in preparation for implementation of their areas over the next 12 to 18 months.
- A good general level of education, including a degree or equivalent
- Excellent analysis and problem-solving skills
- Experience of implementing and/or supporting packaged systems software in a complex and diverse organisation
- Experience of configuring software packages to meet the specific needs of an organisation, and of carrying out system and/or regression testing
- Experience of writing detailed functional and/or technical specifications for developers to work from
- Advanced skills in developing in a Microsoft environment, using T-SQL, with the ability to take a lead role in designing and creating new reports, interfaces and designing changes to the underlying database schema would be useful
- Business analysis skills are essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to relate effectively to users at all levels
- Experience of using end-user reporting tools such as Tableau to interrogate a business system and produce lists or data extracts
- Confident use of the Microsoft Office toolset, email and web browsers
- Proven track record of successfully managing their own workload
- Previous experience of implementing or supporting Wherescape Red, Tableau Server and Tableau Desktop
- Previous experience in dealing with Active Directory and security processes
- A basic understanding of Oracle Financials and Oracle Student Systems
- Experience of dealing with an ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) process