The University is implementing a data governance framework and developing an enterprise data model to enhance its data management capabilities and to support the delivery of its Strategic Plan.
The IT Services Data Analyst role encompasses data governance, data modelling (logical and physical), data integration design, data migration, data warehouse design and data analytics. You will collaborate closely with other data practitioners, business data experts, business analysts, software developers and integration architects to provide specialist domain knowledge and analytical services. The Data Analyst role primarily supports centrally-funded IT system development projects and enterprise-level data initiatives. The Data Analyst will work at a high level of detail and precision in the development of data artefacts (such as data definitions, entity-relationship data diagrams, integration mappings and transformation) using the University’s enterprise-level modelling toolset and repository. The Data Analyst will maintain those artefacts as necessary.
The Data Analyst will be experienced in eliciting data requirements and able to communicate data issues clearly to IT and business colleagues at all levels. They will be an effective team player, self-motivated, able to progress work on their own initiative and have a proven track record in meeting deadlines.
The Data Analyst will also be expected to undertake relevant professional development to ensure their skills remain appropriate to the needs of the University.
- Educated to degree level in an IT-related or analytical subject, or equivalent professional training and experience that has developed analytical skills and knowledge of corporate IT
- Experienced in working with business and technology-focused colleagues to gather, define and prioritise their data requirements in support of planning, designing, implementing or operating a diverse IT portfolio (such as business analysts, architects, software developers, data stewards, project managers, service support staff, business system owners, senior decision-makers)
- Passionate about working with data and motivated to deliver a joined-up enterprise view that benefits all colleagues and facilitates informed decision-making
- Thorough knowledge of relational data structures, unstructured data, analytics, data management best practices including data quality, data governance and legal compliance
- Experience of extracting, constructing, cleansing and preparing data sets by employing various techniques (such as questionnaires, interviews, systems extractions and document analysis)
- Experience of manipulating, analysing, visualising and modelling data from a complex business application portfolio, including logical and physical data modelling and data integration mapping
- Experience of developing and operating lean processes to govern artefacts and manage data quality; evidence of being a completer-finisher who works with accuracy and precision
- Experience of prioritising, estimating, designing and delivering own work packages in a timely manner; experience of achieving collaborative outputs with colleagues who have competing demands on their time
- Demonstrable creative and analytical problem-solving skills; able to balance pragmatic and idealistic thinking when designing solutions; able to see the big picture while not neglecting the detail
- Supportive collaborative work style; able to challenge ideas in a professional and constructive manner in order to achieve a better outcome for the broader business/IT community
- Excellent communicator (written, visualisation and verbal) with advanced interpersonal skills: able to build rapport, influence and inspire, be credible with a diverse community of colleagues)
- Experience of using enterprise-level architecture modelling tools (such as Enterprise Architect, Casewise), data modelling tools (such as Erwin) or data visualisation tools (such as Tableau), or training in data modelling, business analysis, data visualisation or an architecture framework (such as TOGAF)
- Experience of working with enterprise-scale IT within higher education.
- Experience of writing database queries to extract, analyse and manipulate data