The Functional Analyst’s substantive reporting line will be to the Head of Business Systems Support. It is envisaged that most of the time an individual analyst would be 100% attached to a support team or project with a functional reporting line to the appropriate line manager in that support team or project. These attachments would vary in duration, from a few months to more than one year. The assignments would normally be at the substantive grade for the Functional Analyst role, but where appropriate an assignment could be made to a higher grade.
The Functional Analyst could be attached to a resolver support team, or to a project, and may provide backup for the Service Desk function. The skills and experience of the individual, and their ability to adapt these skills to the new product or project, would be the main factors determining assignments made.
Service Desk team members provide a vital contact point for users throughout the collegiate University for key business services applications. Resolver teams are staffed with experienced individuals whose activities include control data administration, application security management, communicating with suppliers, in-depth problem handling, including investigation, analysis, workaround provision, solution development and change implementation.
Due to the nature of these posts, the responsibilities in this job description are necessarily generic, and cover more than one possible area of operational activity. When an assignment is proposed, a written document detailing the duties and likely duration of the position would be created and agreed in discussion with the Head of Business Systems Support, the Functional Analyst, and the line manager of the team to which the Analyst is assigned. Staff supervision may be required depending on the assignment.
- A good level of education, a degree or equivalent
- Minimum of three years’ experience of implementing and supporting packaged business systems software in a complex and diverse organisation, preferably the University of Oxford
- Minimum of two years’ experience working in either a service desk, resolver group or a business analysis role
- Demonstrated ability or willingness to operate in a multi-product environment, though normally working in one product area at a time
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to relate effectively to users at all levels
- Confident use of the Microsoft Office toolset, email and web browsers
- Proven track record of successfully managing their own work and that of others, and of managing staff within a larger team providing coaching and mentoring
- Excellent analysis and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- ITIL qualification would be beneficial, as well as experience of working in a service managed environment
- PRINCE2 qualification would be beneficial, as well as experience of working in projects to a recognised methodology
- Experience of supervision of direct reports, including task allocation and objective setting is expected to be an advantage in some attachments