The University has invested in an enterprise architecture modelling toolset to capture information about the centrally funded administrative IT portfolio, including detail on the University’s shared data asset and business processes. The toolset comprises a specialist application for architects and analysts to create models plus an associated website for the wider University community to consume content.
The Information Modeller will use the web publishing tool to create and manage web pages that expose modelled content in such a way as to deliver maximum benefit to business and technical colleagues, supporting them in planning and operating the IT estate. The Information Modeller will work with colleagues across the University to identify new information areas that will enrich the current enterprise model, and will gather the data and model the content. The Information Modeller will develop and operate processes to control the quality of data published, and will support the user community and the toolset.
The Information Modeller will collaborate closely with the Data Modellers and Business Analysts who are creating specialist content (data models and process maps, respectively). Tool-specific training will be provided.
- Educated to degree level in an IT-related or analytical subject, or equivalent professional training and experience that has developed analytical skills and knowledge of corporate IT
- Experience in working with business and technology-focused colleagues to gather, define and prioritise their information requirements in support of planning, designing, implementing or operating a diverse IT portfolio (such as business analysts, architects, software developers, data stewards, project managers, service support staff, business system owners, senior decision-makers)
- Passionate about working with data and motivated to deliver a joined-up enterprise view that benefits all colleagues
- Experience of constructing, cleansing and preparing data sets by employing various techniques (such as questionnaires, interviews, systems extractions and document analysis)
- Experience of manipulating, modelling and/or visualising data with the purpose of creating information that increases knowledge and facilitates decision-making
- Experience of developing and operating lean processes to govern content and manage data quality; evidence of being a completer-finisher who works with accuracy and precision
- Experience of prioritising, estimating, designing and delivering own work packages in a timely manner; experience of achieving collaborative outputs with colleagues who have competing demands on their time
- Demonstrable creative and analytical problem-solving skills; able to balance pragmatic and idealistic thinking when designing solutions; able to see the big picture while not neglecting the detail
- Supportive collaborative work style; able to challenge ideas in a professional and constructive manner in order to achieve a better outcome for the broader business/IT community
- Excellent communicator (written, visualisation and verbal) with advanced interpersonal skills: able to build rapport, influence and inspire, be credible with a diverse community of colleagues)
- Experience of using enterprise-level architecture modelling tools or data visualisation tools, or training in data modelling, business analysis, data visualisation or an architecture framework (such as TOGAF)
- Experience of working with enterprise-scale IT within higher education
- Experience of writing database queries to extract, analyse and manipulate data
- Experience of working with web publishing tools
- Experience of providing support to users and of liaising with technical colleagues and supplier service desks to resolve technical issues