The Network Administrator assists a number of roles in the department providing support and administration for Netware, Windows and Network infrastructure provided as Managed Network Services across Oxford.
- At least two years’ experience administering VMware in a complex and modern environment.
- At least three years’ experience administering a modern server support environment (Netware)
- Good Understanding of TCP/IP networking (including DNS/DHCP)
- Knowledge of network monitoring methods / software
- Thorough knowledge of Windows operating systems (currently XP)
- Good understanding of PC hardware
- Awareness of at least one other technologies used within the team (Netware/Unix/VMware/Windows Server 2008)
- A University degree or equivalent professional qualification
- A good working knowledge of server hardware and its management using lights out technology
- Experience of maintaining security of systems through patching, systems configuration and monitoring
- Awareness and familiarity of industry standards.
- Good logical diagnostic skills; ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex technical issues related to the work of the post
- Able to prioritise work in a large complex environment
- Evidence of excellent record keeping skills
- Evidence of good organisational skills and self-motivation.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as being a team player
- A good understanding of VMware
- ITIL foundation qualification or higher
- Ability to automate tasks using appropriate
- Experience in exercising warranty and maintenance agreements with suppliers and third parties.
- Experience in using an electronic service request helpdesk
- Good interpersonal and communication skills including the ability work with staff at all levels in the University and able to communicate with both technical and non-technical people
- Experience in developing and executing disaster recovery plans for systems managed
- The skills and experience to become an effective member of the team as quickly as possible