IT Services has a Finance team which is split into three main areas: Purchasing, Projects and General Ledger, with a manager heading up each section. The IT Services Finance team is headed up by a Head of Finance.
This role is within the Projects team. The expenditure on IT projects has increased significantly and will continue to increase in the next few years to a steady state of £30 million per year. A significant element of the expenditure is managed by IT Services; however a large element is also delegated to different departments (such as Finance) but is ultimately the responsibility of the Projects team to monitor and report on this. Reporting is also required internally (for example, to project managers, director of projects, Deputy CIO and SMT) and externally (for example to the IT Committee, various IT Boards). This post will support the capital projects programme and be responsible for project recharges via journals among other duties.
The Projects Team is led by the Senior Project Accountant and consists of two Project Accountants and a Finance Assistant.
- Several years’ experience of working in a large accounting department, part qualified accountant or qualified by experience
- Good Excel skills, such as the ability to create and manipulate pivot tables and manage large volumes of data
- Experience in preparation of management accounts and the analysis of variances. Review and challenge of financials with line managers
- Evidence of attention to detail (such as experience of distributing complex or confidential information without requiring review)
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability and willingness to work and co-operate effectively with people from different organisational levels, both internally and externally as may be required
- A flexible and resilient approach to work, able to use initiative and a proactive approach to problem solving
- Highly organised, with excellent attention to detail, high level of accuracy and effective in prioritising work