Project Communications Officer
IT Services has a vacancy for an appropriately experienced Communications Officer to work on the IT Services change programme. They will report to Head of Business Change. On a daily basis the Communications Officer will work closely with project and programme delivery teams within IT Services as part of the business change work stream. They will also collaborate with the IT Services Communication team to ensure consistency of messages and approach. The post holder’s primary responsibility will be the communications on a range of projects run by IT Services, and mainly to an internal audience across the collegiate University.
The post holder should have an interest in the business of higher education and an interest in new technologies for new ways of working. Specialist technical knowledge is not required. The post holder will be skilful at gathering and processing information quickly and making it understandable to a wide range of audiences. They will be able to think strategically about how to communicate in order to deliver agreed objectives and key messages and to create and execute plans efficiently. The successful candidate will be expected to work independently on their own initiative to engage stakeholders across the University in shaping new services.
The post holder will be a point of reference for the entire project team who may not have any experience of organisation-wide communications – providing expert skills, recommendations and advice on communications, use of appropriate channels and so on. The post holder will have to link across departments, working with staff at all levels.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent relevant work experience
- Proven experience in a communications role in a large organisation with multiple stakeholder groups
- Demonstrable ability to assimilate complex information and ideas quickly and make them accessible to a wider audience through a variety of communications channels
- First rate written skills with the ability to develop high quality, accurate and consistent communications materials, newsletters, leaflets, briefings and so on for non-specialist audiences
- A track record of managing and creating content for websites using a content management system
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills, with a customer focus and the ability to work with staff at all levels
- Ability to work independently in a busy team environment, taking initiative when necessary and prioritising effectively to meet deadlines
- Drive, enthusiasm and commitment to get involved in all aspects of IT Services projects and IT Services communications
- Well organised, methodical, accurate and an eye for detail
- Experience of delivering communications for IT projects affecting a large user base
- Experience of using SharePoint
- Experience of Site Manager and/or Drupal
- Experience of using and evaluating the use of social media to support communications activities