Scientific Software Advisor
An opportunity has arisen for a Scientific Software Support Officer based within the University’s Advanced Research Computing group which provides specialist IT infrastructure and support services that enable and advance the world-leading research taking place within the University.
The successful candidate will provide application software support across a broad range of research disciplines. The focus of the post is on technical support to assist ARC users in their optimal use of scientific software applications on HPC computing platforms, mostly locally but also regionally. Drawing on their technical knowledge, as well as domain-specific expertise, the post holder will provide a key role in helping to facilitate the translating the scientific aspirations of the research community into technical solutions that can be run on ARC’s systems.
The successful candidate will be part of a dedicated team at the heart of research computing in the University, and this provides an excellent and exciting opportunity for someone seeking to develop their career in these areas.
- A degree or equivalent qualification in a scientific or technical discipline
- Experience with the development of parallel software applications (preferably using MPI and/or OpenMP), the use of parallel programming tools (debuggers, profilers) and parallel scientific libraries
- Excellent working knowledge of the Linux (or other Unix-like) operating system and experience with shell scripting and interpreted languages (in particular Python and/or Perl)
- Proven ability to work independently, prioritise tasks and respond positively to changing user priorities and requirements
- Good communication skills
- Experience of working in a collaborative team
- ITIL foundation qualification or similar experience of working within a set of best practices
- Post-graduation experience of working in a research-focused setting
- Experience with the utilisation of HPC systems (building and installing parallel code, using job schedulers)
- Experience in scientific software development
- Experience in a support or service role