Senior Computer Security Specialist
The Senior Computer Security Specialist joins the University of Oxford’s Computer Emergency Response Team (OxCERT) as an experienced Linux systems administrator and developer. You will have extensive knowledge in information systems security, undertake independent analysis and research in the field, provide strategic technical advice for decision makers, and educate stakeholders in technical roles in the field of Linux Security.
You bring extensive operational experience in operating heterogeneous system landscapes to the OxCERT security team; take a leadership role in the development, and operation of internal systems; and offer expert consultancy across a wide range of University departments, projects, and initiatives.
You will take a leading role in the information security incident response activities to identify threats and respond with the appropriate actions to investigate and remediate.
A key component of the work will be the ownership of the Linux based systems operated for the Information Security group. The post holder will be responsible for the Linux infrastructure and systems supporting OxCERT’s security operations function. You will continuously improve the set-up with a strong focus on automation in collaboration with the Head of Information Security Operations and the OxCERT team. For this purpose, the post holder is expected to bring prior experience in Linux systems, profound knowledge in managing and configuring industry standard Linux based technologies, and excellent programming and automation skills.
- Thorough understanding of the principles of end-to-end information security and practical experience in incident response activities
- Thorough understanding of the Linux platform (preferably Debian GNU/Linux) and configuration management
- Thorough understanding of IP based networking (IPv6 and IPv4) and the OSI model
- Demonstrable experience developing software in at least two higher order programming languages
- Ability to contribute to the development and delivery of technical and information security designs from requirements through to final architecture within the team and in collaboration with relevant stakeholders
- Demonstrable experience of playing a senior role in the technical delivery and operation of enterprise-level systems comprising Windows system security as well as network security, together with the skills and knowledge to ensure conformance with agreed levels of availability
- Excellent analytical, decision-making and communications skills, with the ability to evaluate, recommend and present complex technical options at senior management level
- Demonstrable experience of organising a busy and varied workload requiring self-motivation and excellent time management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills, and the ability to communicate information security and risk-related concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
- High level of personal integrity, as well as the ability to handle confidential matters and show an appropriate level of judgment and maturity
- Be a role model with a high work ethic, strong professionalism, and the ability to quickly become an effective member of a team