Service Desk Team Lead
The IT Services Service Desk is the central point of contact for IT queries from academics, students, staff and IT Support Officers in colleges and departments. The Service Desk strives to set the standard of behaviour for customer engagement, playing a key customer advocacy role, developing and delivering services that support customer needs and inform IT Services objectives.
The team act as customer champions, offering specialist advice and support on IT-related issues while providing customers with the best possible service and conveying a sincere willingness to help. The team comprises Service Desk Analysts (SDAs), Senior Service Desk Analysts (SSDAs), Service Desk Supervisors (SDSs) and Service Managers (SMs).
The Service Desk Team Leader is a key role, tasked with managing a team of Service Desk Analysts. The post holder is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day effectiveness of service provision and ensuring that targets are met.
The post holder is expected to work effectively within a large team, working most closely with Service Managers and Senior Service Desk Analysts, in order to drive service improvements. The post holder will offer specialist advice and support on IT-related issues, ensuring the effective management of all incidents and service requests through a telephone, email and appointment-based service.
This role requires the ability to develop effective working relationships with colleagues within and beyond IT Services, in order to ensure that a consistent, high quality service is delivered by the Service Desk. This is a fast-paced and varied role, requiring excellent communication and customer service skills as well as a broad range of IT knowledge.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An active / empathic listener
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to manage own time effectively and to be prompt and punctual
- Experience of working effectively within a team and collaborating with others to achieve a goal
- Demonstrable ability to think around issues and look at the wider picture in order to provide solutions through a variety of problem-solving techniques
- Drive, self-motivation and ability to work under own initiative
- Knowledge and understanding of best practice frameworks (such as ITIL, ISO20k) for the delivery of IT services
- Sound knowledge and experience of supporting range of IT applications, platforms and technologies
- Ability to clearly and accurately communicate processes and procedures verbally and in writing
- Ability to produce management information reports from ITSM systems
- Experience of working accurately and confidently with service desk tools and technology, such as ITSM, remote access, knowledge resources
- Experience of developing professional and effective working relationships with customers and key stakeholders
- Experience of delivering a high level of customer service
- The necessary skills and attributes to integrate successfully into a busy team
- Delivery of IT support services within higher education institutions
- ITIL Foundation or higher
- Experience of coaching and/or mentoring staff
- Experience of managing the work of others
- Knowledge and experience of best practice in customer service and/or IT service management