Technical Officer (Media)
This position involves the maintenance, administration and development of the publishing web services managed by Educational Media Services. The key publishing channels to support include:
The role will maintain the internal media cataloguing system written in Drupal, MediaPub, that provides data feeds for publishing and the related Drupal web podcast.
The post holder will be responsible for deploying software and security updates, maintaining the sites, providing usage data and planning further developments.
Additionally, the officer will be expected to help with the management and maintenance of the media asset management infrastructure. The infrastructure includes cataloguing software, a range of Apple computers, Network Attached Storage (NAS) units and specialised shared storage for real-time video editing.
Part of the role will be to ensure that systems are reliable, secure and efficiently managed, all documentation is clear, comprehensive and up to date, and that all team members retain sufficient familiarity with the key systems. We expect the holder of this role to work both independently and as part of an established team but we will expect the post holder to be responsible for routine system administration tasks, and to be capable of troubleshooting problems after an initial period of training. The post holder will liaise with other technical team members of IT Services including Infrastructure Services if the issue needs to be escalated.
The post holder will be expected to use their specialist knowledge and experience to assist with service enquiries through a request tracker platform, and to provide advice and recommendations to team members and departmental staff using the publishing systems.
- A degree, or equivalent qualification
- Maintenance and administration of web content management systems
- Web development experience – ideally PHP/Drupal
- Technical experience of using a code repository and Linux system tools
- Must be well organised, self-motivating, and able to work effectively both as a team member and independently
- Systematic and methodical approach to problem solving in a technical environment
- Experience of digital asset management
- Experience in writing technical documentation
- Experience of IT service provision within a university environment.
- Knowledge of audio/video processes
- Experience of risk assessment and information security